Hey read this!

If you want to follow my blog via email, scroll to the bottom and follow instructions. If you think instructions are for losers, then figure it out yourself. Either way works for me. Skoal.

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Adios Colonel Potter

A week or two ago actor Harry Morgan died. He had acted in movies and TV shows for years and was best known for playing the character Col. Sherman T. Potter on the TV show MASH. Col. Potter came from the Midwest, so the writers gave him a homespun feel and attitude. He had a plethora of sayings he would utter in times of amazment, joy, anger, frustration, you name the mood and there was a 'Sherman Potterism' to fit the occasion. I remember such Potterisms as "buffalo bagels", "galloping horse flesh", "suffering saddle soap", "horse hockey", "what in the name of sweet fanny adams" and countless others. My favorite Potterism was Potter telling Hawkeye that when he was made a Colonel, the bone in his head that makes him explain orders was removed. I took license from that and would tell people that when I was 35, I had the operation. What operation? The operation to remove the bone in my head that makes me explain everything I do. Over the years, this has earned a few laughs and allowed me to avoid going into depth when I did not feel like it. At times, this has also caused some frustration for others. Once such instance was just this week, when I failed to provide more attention to a situation. As a matter of fact, I was somewhat inattentive and it hurt and pissed off a person I have known for years. I went blithely on my way, doing the daily work of life, and thinking I was on top of things. Well I was not, and was called on it, as I should have been. Although I did not verbally apply my Potterism to this person, it happened at a sub or semi conscience level. Not a good decision. I cannot change what happened; the best I can do is apologize and try to do better. I hope Colonel Potter would approve of that. Rest in Peace Harry Morgan. Thanks for all the laughs. If you see Dad and Gene, tell them I said hi. Holy Hemostat!

No comments:

Post a Comment