Hey read this!

If you want to follow my blog via email, scroll to the bottom and follow instructions. If you think instructions are for losers, then figure it out yourself. Either way works for me. Skoal.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Earl and George

I'm the youngest of 4 kids. I came along later than the rest, by 16, 15, and 11 years. So by the time I was starting school, the others were out of the house living lives, and I was home alone with mom and dad. I kind of missed having brothers and sisters around, and it was quite lonely at times. Later in my high school years I spent a lot of time with my best friend's family, he had 2 sisters and 4 brothers. Looking back, it seems I wanted that family time that I had somehow been denied by being the last born, by a good margin. But no matter, that's the way it was, so that's what we have to work with.  As my great aunt Alma would say, '...buck up', but that is another story for another time.

My brother is 11 years older than me. When I was learning how to play dodge ball and write cursive, he was going through boot camp. When I was learning long division he was in Viet Nam. I was and still am very attached to my brother, but the reality is, for most of our lives it's been over long distance. So what we lack in quantity, we make up otherwise. As my youngest sister says, "it is what it is" . We're brothers. That says it all.

As a kid and a young teen, I spent a lot of time with my sisters and their families, they lived less than an hour away.  In addition to my sisters, I had brother in laws, which was kind of a novelty for a young kid. I was an uncle at 9. Not bad, and it required no effort on my part.

My youngest sister's husband and I spent a lot of time together. His middle name was Earl, which I thought was funny. I would call him Earl, which I suspect he kind of liked. In return, he called me George. Beats the hell out of me where he got George, that's not my middle name (that too is another story), he probably just picked it out of the air and bestowed it upon me. I liked it.  He had a real kid like sense of fun and curiosity about him, and he had the knack to make his own fun. He taught me how to bait a hook, how to skin a catfish. He showed me how to make a home made mortar out of a piece of pipe and firecrackers. Way way before Mythbusters came alone and blew stuff up on TV, we were doing that. But then again, that was before cable. He showed me how to make and fly a kite (cross sticks and box), and how to fix them after they crashed. He had motorcycles, and when I started down that path he would pick up parts for me when he and my sister would come to visit. He taught me to drive a car, if it wasn't for him I never would have gotten my license. He gave me my first set of tools, and lectured me on how to take care of them. Forty some years later, I still have some of them, prized possessions in my tool box.

When I was 14, he took me to see 'Blazing Saddles' when it came out in the theater. My first R rated movie. He laughed so hard during the movie that tears were coming down his cheeks, and days later we would recite lines from the movie and laugh all over again. It was good times. He wasn't my blood brother, but we had a good bond. We got along. He treated me like an adult. I tried to remember that lesson when my boys were growing up. My sister would kind of shake her head at our antics at times, and sometimes I suspect she thought she was raising two boys.

Eventually they had kids of their own, two girls who grew into wonderful, strong, smart women. I was lucky to spend a fair amount of time with them when they were little, and became very attached to them as well. (my nieces, all four of them, rock. So does my nephew. More blogs...) As time moved on I spent less time with them. I was growing up and jobs, cars, friends and school took up my time.

Much later in life, I found myself living close to them again. By then, my boys had come along, and they too enjoyed spending time with my sister and brother in law. The circle completes. My boys discovered his sense of being a kid, creating fun and enjoying life. I hope they will remember that and pass that on when the time comes.

Time has a nasty habit of moving on. Earl passed away some time ago, and my sister has since remarried,  to a terrific guy who makes her laugh and is very attentive to her.  A very good thing, because she deserves it. My oldest sister has been married to a great guy too for many years (we call him The Saint). I'm very lucky to have a great big brother, and two other brothers to boot. Very lucky indeed.

But years ago, there was a guy who kind of took me under his wing, and was a brother to me in every sense of the word. His secret was he treated me like an adult, while at the same time having the courage to still be a kid. I think that is a gift. An early life lesson that I will never forget.

Thanks Earl.





No comments:

Post a Comment