Hey read this!

If you want to follow my blog via email, scroll to the bottom and follow instructions. If you think instructions are for losers, then figure it out yourself. Either way works for me. Skoal.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

lefse

I'm Norwegian. No, I wasn't born there, and can't speak the language, or write it, but I have Norwegian blood. (well, 7/8, the other 1/8 is Swede, but being a polite Norwegian, I won't speak of that) All good Norwegians, at least those I knew growing up who were all related to me, ate lefse. Lefse is made from potatoes, and resembles a tortilla. Only better. My grandmother made lefse every year so we could eat it with our Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. Grandma was an opinionated person, she wasn't shy sharing how she felt. How uncharacteristic of a Norwegian. And Grandma knew how lefsa was to be eaten. Spread some butter, sprinkle a little white sugar on it (optional), roll it up, eat it. Don't dip it in gravy, or fill it with stuffing, or peanut butter or God knows what. Butter, roll, eat. That's it. Anything else and you would get a disapproving look, and a few words on lefsa etiquette. A few days ago at work, we had a little debate on how to eat lefse. Sugar, no sugar, brown sugar, margarine, butter, peanut butter. Everyone has an opinion on lefsa. Wow, if we only had some lefsa to sample. One day later, I was shopping in a warehouse store and there was lefsa for sale. Norwegian potato lefse, in sealed plastic bags, made in Gonvick Minnesota. For less than 3 bucks you can get about 6 sheets of lefsa, nice and neatly trimmed to size. I bought a few bags and the next day brought some lefsa, butter, white and brown sugar in to work so we could enjoy this delicacy. Grandma would be proud. She would have more than a few words to say about the neatly trimmed edges and plastic bags, but she would like the lefsa. And by the way, the hands down favorite at work is butter and white sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment